Quick Grilling Steak with Wasabi Yogurt
“If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!” Do you find yourself cooking at odd hours or serving plenty of salads and other “no cook” dishes to beat the heat? I myself was baking a Coconut Pie at 6 a.m. to avoid the heat. Another approach is to fire up the grill so you can prepare this fast-cooking steak outside. Make the marinade in the morning along with the yogurt-wasabi sauce and you’ll have the rest of the day to play. If your family doesn’t like intense heat (spice), substitute green onion for the wasabi.
Once the meat has finished on the grill, let the meat rest on a cutting board for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing. This allows the steak to reach its final temperature and to resorb the juices for better flavor. You’ll be rewarded with lower-calorie, high-quality protein with each tender bite. Serve this with this delicious Spinach, Strawberry, and Walnut Salad or this equally incredible Peaches and Kale Salad and some bread for a balanced meal the whole family will love.
4 Beef eye round steaks, cut three-quarters inch thick (about 4 ounces each)
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt, divided
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1/2 to 1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- Combine one-half cup yogurt, ginger, and garlic in small bowl. Place beef steaks and yogurt mixture in food-safe plastic bag; turn steaks to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, line a strainer with paper towels; set over small bowl. Place remaining 1 cup yogurt in strainer. Cover; let drain in refrigerator 30 minutes or as long as overnight to thicken.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Place steaks on grill over medium, ash covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 15 to 19 minutes for medium rare doneness, turning occasionally. (Do not overcook.)
- Meanwhile combine thickened yogurt and wasabi paste. Set aside.
- Carve steaks into thin slices; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with wasabi yogurt mixture.
Two tablespoons prepared horseradish may be substituted for wasabi paste. To prepare on gas grill, preheat grill according to manufacturer’s directions for medium heat. Grill steaks, covered, 10 to 12 minutes for medium rare doneness, turning occasionally. (Do not overcook.)
Nutrient Information: Calories: 195, Total Fat: 5, Saturated Fat: 2g, Sodium: 90, Calcium: 181 mg
What do you do to keep cool while cooking in the summer?
Trina Robertson, MS, RD, is a registered dietitian with a master’s degree in nutrition. As a HealthyEating.org Mom she shares her positive approach to healthy eating with the goal of inspiring others to prepare and enjoy foods from all the food groups. As a Project Manager with the Dairy Council of California, Trina develops, evaluates, and promotes nutrition education materials for students and adults. At home she enjoys cooking and sharing meals with her family. Her most rewarding accomplishment is that her boys are good eaters and are learning to cook. Follow Trina on Twitter and find more Healthy Eating ideas on Facebook.
Latest posts by Trina Robertson (see all)
- Healthy Halloween? Pumpkin Recipes and Eating Tips - October 2, 2017
- 3 Reasons to Power Up Your School Routine with Breakfast - September 12, 2017
- Sweetie Pie Quesadilla Quick Recipe - August 16, 2017