Read Literacy Into Service
10 Tips to Serve By Reading
Here are 10 bite-size ideas:
- Donate your gently-used paperback books to the Prison Book Program to improve prisoners' access to educational materials.
- Order an extra book in your child's next Scholastic book order, and donate it to your child's school or to Reader to Reader, a nonprofit that distributes books to needy school libraries across the country.
- Donate your used books abroad through Books for Africa, International Book Project, and Biblioworks.org. Visit the American Library Association's page on sending books to needy libraries for a longer list of possible recipients. There are many.
- Attend, sponsor, or host an event, such as a read-a-thon, for Reach Out and Read, a nonprofit that promotes early literacy and school readiness in pediatric exam rooms nationwide by giving new books to children and advice to parents about the importance of reading aloud.
- Participate in a Virtual Book Drive for First Book
- Attend your local storytelling festival, maybe taking along a friend who couldn't otherwise afford to go.
- Volunteer for one month at your local literacy center.
- Ask the librarian of your local middle school or high school if you can prepare a poster or other type of visual summary of a good book, to motivate their students to read.
- Donate books or money to a charity, like the Ronald McDonald Houses, that provides assistance to families of hospital patients.
- Donate a Borders gift card to a Christmas Box House.
How Will You Give to Others This Week?
- What other ideas do you have for giving to others by reading?
- How has serving others made a meaningful difference for you this week?
- How have others given to you this week and what difference has that made in your life?
How Else Can You Make a Difference This Season?
Make a meaningful difference this season by taking the Season of Service (SOS) Challenge. Here's how you can participate:
- Commit to do one act of kindness/service based on the week's challenge.
- Leave a comment with ideas relating to the week's challenge as well as your experience(s) performing it.
- Enter to win each week's giveaway. Check out this week's prizes from ONE.org by clicking here.
- Join #gno this Tuesday on Twitter to connect with other Mom It Forward moms about the challenge.
The following two tabs change content below.