Simplifying Morning and Evening Routines
Are you struggling with a morning routine and feeling hectic and out of control? These tips for a smooth morning will keep your family on track!
I've been there! My oldest daughter started high school on Monday. I remember so clearly her first week of kindergarten. I think I made multiple trips to the school every day that week because of something we had forgotten. We forgot homework, lunch, and PE clothes. I was the first of my friends to have kids and I wish someone had sat me down and told me that with just a few changes, my days would be much easier.
I read every parenting magazine I could and pieced together helpful hints that we've stuck with over the years.
1. Backpacks on the bench - Before any electronic time, my kids must have all homework done, all papers signed, and their backpacked zipped and ready to go on our kitchen bench.
2. Lunch already made - Before bed, the kids must have their school lunch made and in the refrigerator. (Did I say I made their lunch? No. They make their lunch. It is one of the things we have decided as a family that they should be responsible for.)
3. Little ones sleep in their clothes - This one has been controversial among friends. Some little ones are very used to sleeping in pajamas every night. But, if you have a little one that likes to do fifteen outfit changes in the morning, this just may be a lifesaver. After about a week, the didn't even notice that they were sleeping in daytime clothes. They would wake up, come to breakfast, and the outfit changes were a memory of the past.
4. Breakfast is simple - Each morning, I give the kids three choices - toast / bagel, cut up fruit, or cereal. That's it. Nothing fancy, but enough so that I am sure that they aren't going to be hungry before lunch. We have a nice, big breakfast on the weekends. Now, if you are the mom that can make perfect waffles with maple syrup before 6:30am, then you rock! That is amazing. That is not me. So our breakfast is simple.
Have you started school yet? Do you have any tips you could add to this list? Let us know in the comments!
Latest posts by Kate Eschbach (see all)
- Fall Party Traditions If You Don’t Celebrate Halloween - October 5, 2018
- 5 Ways to Strengthen Friendships - September 1, 2018
- DIY Apple Print Fall Banner Kids Can Help Make - August 25, 2018