Halloween Craft: “Wicked” Good Halloween Wood Craft & Decor
On several levels, this is the perfect ‘GoodNCrazy’ craft for us. My daughters are completely head over heels in love with Wicked the musical. My husband dressed up as a wicked witch for Halloween (complete with high heels, green face, and long fingernails... don’t ask!). And we all love making a giant mess of the dining room table with a fun Halloween crafts like this.
Decorating wood cutouts is super easy; including drying time, you can totally complete this project in an afternoon with your kids helping!
How to Make "Wicked" Halloween Decor
- CraftyWoodCutouts Wood Letters
- Halloween Themed Scrapbook Paper
- Black Craft Paint (and other colors if you want; we used purple as well)
- Extra Embellishments (like ribbons, netting, a fake spider, sparkly stickers)
- Mod Podge (The KING of all crafty projects!)
- Foam Brushes, scissors, hot glue gun, glue sticks, paper plates for paint
DIY Instructions to Decorate Wood Letter Blocks
- Paint all of your wood letters black & let dry (we painted the witch hat purple to match the paper).
- Trace each letter onto scrapbook paper & cut out carefully.
(TIP: Trace onto the back of the paper with the front of yo ur letter.)
- Using a foam brush, add a thin coat of Mod Podge to the front of the letter. Then coat the back of the paper letter with a thin coat as well. Adhere the paper to the wood and carefully press out any bubbles.
(TIP: Allow this step to REALLY DRY WELL, otherwise the paper will bubble up and look messy in the next step.)
- Is the paper all dry? Good. Now coat over the top of your paper with another thin coat of Mod Podge. Let dry again. This will act as a sealer for your paper.
- With a tiny dab of black paint, carefully paint the edges of the paper letters. This will help make the overall project look ‘finished.'
(TIP: use a Q-Tip for this step.)
- Get out the hot glue gun and add all the embellishments!
We’re so in love with this easy project! And there are a bunch more crazy fun ideas over at CraftyWoodCutouts!
What will you slap some Mod Podge on for October?!
NOTE: I was given the wood letters and embellishments for this project to play with at no cost to me. However I was not compensated in any other way.
Latest posts by CarissaRogers (see all)
- Service: How to Make Your Spring Break Service-Oriented - February 26, 2019
- FALLunteering! Family Fun Service Ideas - October 27, 2018
- Halloween Craft: “Wicked” Good Halloween Wood Craft & Decor - September 18, 2018