Activities: Unique Ideas for End-of-Summer Fun
Summer Activities—Summer is definitely an awesome time, full of the outdoors, family time, and fun. We're approaching the end of it, though. Are you running out of ideas for summer fun? Are you fed up with kids coming to you with cries of boredom? Most of you are probably busily trying to jam-pack the last few weeks with a huge list of activities and to-do's. For those of you who are looking for some refreshers, here are some ideas.
During a MomItForward Twitter Girls Night Out (#gno) in July, sponsored by Ovaltine, tweeters shared stories and thoughts about unique projects, places, and recipes they've loved or are going to try. Here are a few of them, in no particular order:
10 Unique Ideas for End-of-Summer Fun
- @southwestgirl says they "gather around blender in the afternoons to see what "mocktail" concoctions they come up with--slushies to smoothies."
- @onemomsworld says "I am taking so many pictures and then having the girls to work on summer scrapbooks." As far as capturing summer memories, many tweeters recommended Instagram, an iPhone app that edits photos and posts to Facebook and Twitter if you want. @lucrecerbraxton says Instagram "has made it extra easy to capture summer memories."
- @dallassinglemom says they do circus potato stamp art. Intriguing...
- Almost everyone agreed that road trips are one of the best ways to wile away the summer hours. Now, where you go is or what you do is what makes them unique.
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Popsicles made with Ovaltine, shared by @texasholly.
- @deesisk86 says, "I love to mix crab, cream cheese, green onions, soy, garlic, little sugar. I fill Phyllo cups up and bake." Yum! She also recommended li'l smokies wrapped in bacon and glazed with brown sugar. I can personally attest to the scrumptiousness of this appetizer.
- @atfredzone says that No Bake Cookies using Ovaltine instead of cocoa, and sweetened condensed milk, is "the Bomb!!" Again, since I made these for my Ovaltine Awesome Wholesome Backyard Party, I testify as to their wonderfulness. As long as we're on the subject of Ovaltine recipes, @troypattee also recommended Ovaltine cake and @texasholly says the Ovaltine Fruit Dip is "so good."
- @msmary1962 says they do "fondue meals." "I just put oil in both fondue pots," she says, "then chop veggies and meat into very small pieces and make a batter for them and we cook our own. It takes forever and is FUN."
- @greeblemonkey puts kids' craft ideas on her Pinterest board for inspiration. She also recommends fried Baby Ruths. WHAT?!
- @jamiemoesser (yes, that would be me) highly recommends Southwest Chicken Wraps: diced chicken cooked then coated with a bit of hot sauce, chili powder, and garlic powder, then mixed with black beans and cheddar cheese. Serve a top tortillas with lettuce, guacamole, green onions, sour cream, etc.
Let us know your unique summer fun ideas! And, whatever else you do, enjoy the rest of your summer!
What fun plans do you have for the end of the summer? How have you made the most out of summer?
Latest posts by Mom It Forward (see all)
- Spring Dessert Recipe: Simply Delicious Carrot Bars - February 28, 2020
- Savory and Sweet Dishes: 8 Easy Bacon-Filled Recipes - January 9, 2020
- 5 Tips for Frugal Back to School Shopping - August 9, 2019