Homemade Chocolate Graham Crackers
These Homemade Chocolate Graham Crackers are the perfect treat to pack in those lunch boxes or surprise the kids with when they come home after school. Make some peanut butter sandwiches with them for an extra-special snack! They're also great for anyone allergic to eggs because they are egg free!
I was making these crackers and had a memory of our now 17 year old son walking around our house as an 18 month old. When I gave him one of the store bought graham crackers he always insisted on having one for his other hand - just one wouldn't do. He then became known as our "two-fisted eater".
Today, he's 2,000 miles away preparing to start school on Monday, but I know if he were here he'd want one of these in each hand as well. I'm sure your family will feel the same way!
Homemade Chocolate Graham Crackers Recipe
Inspired by recipe over at SeriousEats.com. Makes about 48 2 X 2 1/2-inch crackers.
Ingredients for Homemade Chocolate Graham Crackers Recipe
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat graham flour
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus additional for flouring your work surface
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 - 2 tablespoons Turbinado (or raw) sugar
Making your Homemade Chocolate Graham Cracker Snacks
- In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, graham flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut butter into small pieces and blend into dry ingredients with a pastry cutter until the butter is pea sized.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey, milk and vanilla extract.
- Pour into the dry ingredients.
- With a spatula, mix together until a ball of dough is formed. If there are dry ingredients not adhering to the ball, then use your hands to knead everything together for about a minute or so.
- Divide the dough in half, place on plastic wrap and flatten into rectangles. Wrap in the plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare two baking sheets by lining each of them with a sheet of parchment.
- On a clean work surface, sprinkle the additional cocoa powder to prevent sticking.
- Remove one of the packages of dough from the refrigerator and roll into a rectangle about 1/8-inch in thickness.
- Using a pizza cutter, fancy-edged pastry cutter, or fun shaped cookie cutters, cut into crackers.
- Place crackers onto prepared baking sheets. Prick each cracker a few times with a fork to prevent them from billowing or inflating. Sprinkle each with some Turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes. Allow to cool for about two minutes on the baking sheets before removing to a rack to cool completely. Crackers will harden as they cool.
Just a few notes: I used the fancy pastry cutter with the first batch of dough and made crackers that were 2 1/2 X 4-inches. I decided they were a bit larger than I'd wanted when removing them from the oven, so decided to cut the next batch into sizes of 2 1/2 X 2 inches. I think the smaller ones were a better size and will be perfect for little fingers!
Imagine how yummy these crackers will be when used to make S'Mores?! YOWZA!!
I've never had a chocolate graham cracker, so these were a first for me and the family, and we really liked them.
How will you eat these Homemade Chocolate Graham Crackers, topped with something or just enjoy them as is?
Latest posts by Lynne Feifer (see all)
- Red Velvet Cupcakes for Holiday Parties - December 7, 2021
- Turkey Tetrazzini Recipe for Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey - November 2, 2021
- Game Day Cupcakes - January 18, 2021