Family Fun: Making Homemade Ice Cream
Family Fun—You scream, I scream, we all scream for ice cream! There are few things better than a sweet cool treat on a hot summer day as the sun beats down. Making ice cream is not only a great treat but also a fun activity for the family.
How to Make Ice Cream Without an Ice Cream Machine
- 1 gallon size plastic bag
- 2 quart size plastic bags
- ½ c. milk
- 1½ tbsp. sugar
- 6 tbsp. salt
- Ice cubes
Add milk and sugar to the quart size bag along with your choice of flavoring:
- ½ tsp vanilla or other flavored extract
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder or Jell-O mix
- 1 tsp flavored syrup
- Chocolate or butterscotch chips
Seal tightly and put your quart size bag with milk, sugar, and flavoring in another quart size bag to prevent leaking. You don’t want your ice cream to taste like salt!
Add approximately one tray of ice cubes and the salt to the gallon size plastic bag. Put your quart size mixture bag into the gallon size bag as well.
Wrap the bag in towels or newspaper. You can also wear gloves or anything else to protect your hands from the cold.
Shake! Shake! Shake! Knead and Squish! Incorporate games by tossing the ice cream back and forth or between two towels. You can also turn on some summer music and dance with your mixture until it becomes the consistency of ice cream!
Eat it straight from the bag or cut a corner and squeeze it into a bowl or cone!
What are your favorite homemade ice cream flavors?
Feature image courtesy of Flickr.
Latest posts by Cambria VandeMerwe (see all)
- Tips and Tricks for Eating Together and Staying Together - February 20, 2018
- 12 Valentine’s Day Date Ideas for Teens - February 15, 2018
- Parenting: Encouraging Your Kids to Express Their Emotions - February 15, 2018