Mother’s Day: How to Make New Mother’s Day Traditions
Mother’s Day is special day set aside to make sure moms know they are loved and appreciated. I remember as a child, my mom always did things for my siblings and me before she ever did anything for herself. If we needed something, she took care of it. I rarely saw her buy anything new for herself or purchase something she wanted just for fun. She made sure we had home cooked meals, she kept the house spotless (except for the messes we made) and helped us with our homework among many other things. Now, even though I am an adult, she is a wonderful mom—always helping and doing. She is a reflection of what a mother should be.
May is the month to celebrate your mom. Like many other holidays, Mother’s Day is about tradition, spending the day with her, taking her to a nice lunch, and perhaps giving her a gift to express your love and appreciation. Perhaps you can use one of these ideas to start a new tradition with your mom (or the mom in your life).
How to Make New Mother's Day Traditions
- Moms love flowers! Bought or picked from the yard, you will make her day with a beautiful bouquet of fresh flowers.
- Make her a homemade card. Artwork and sweet sentiments from her child will mean much more than a card you might spend $5 on at the store.
- Wake her with breakfast in bed. Let the kids help make muffins, pancakes, waffles or whatever her favorite breakfast food may be.
- Make a special coupon book just for mom. Coupons can be a night off from cooking, washing dishes, cleaning the bathroom, vacuuming, sweeping, walking the dog, or could be for a special snuggle/reading time together with child.
- Give mom a gift certificate for a massage, facial or manicure/pedicure. Treat your mom to a day of luxury and relaxation.
- Make a video especially for mom. Record thoughts, memories and sentiments from the kids. The kids can make a giant Mother’s Day card or sign for the video and then give it to her after she sees the video.
- Let mom call the shots. Spend the day doing something mom likes to do like going to the park, hiking or playing games.
What are some ways you show your mother how much you love her?
Robin Greene wishes all the Mommies and Mommies-to-be a very Happy Mother’s Day! Robin has been married for over 15 years and has two teenagers. She enjoys freelance writing for mybabyclothes.com, where you can shop for the most precious baby clothes, beautiful baby tutus and dapper baby hats.
Latest posts by Lori (see all)
- Summer Fun: How to Save Money on Summer Trips - May 30, 2019
- Mother’s Day: How to Make New Mother’s Day Traditions - May 4, 2019
- Family Games: Fun Outdoor Summer Games for the Family - April 26, 2019