Side Dish Recipe: Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Bacon
Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Bacon
Roast Brussels Sprouts With Bacon Recipe
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts
- 1, 1-pound bag frozen pearl onions (Make sure to buy the frozen variety. I inadvertently bought fresh onions and it took forever to peel the skin off.)
- 4 medium carrots, sliced (4 cups)
- 8 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (Our store was out, so we used sunflower seeds instead and they were delicious!)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano (I also added a tablespoon of fresh basil, which was yummy.)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (I found this to be a bit much and would reduce to 1/3 of a cup next time around.)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
These steps are adapted and then broken out a little differently than in George Duran's Balsamic Roasted Brussel Sprouts recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the bottoms off the Brussels sprouts and soak them in a bowl of cold water for several minutes; drain well. Cut them in half and put them in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the carrots, bacon, pine nuts, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Add the oil and vinegar; toss well to coat.
- Place the mixture in a roasting pan; bake for 25 minutes.
- Stir and bake for 25 minutes more or until Brussels sprouts are nicely browned and vinegar has carmelized. (Our total cooking time was closer to 40 minutes instead of 50, so watch the oven closely so you don't overcook the Brussels sprouts.)
- Serve immediately. (Serves 6-8.)
What is your favorite Brussels sprouts dish?
Latest posts by Jyl Johnson Pattee (see all)
- Family Giving Ideas: 31 Ways to Serve Together at Christmas Time - December 2, 2014
- Travel Related Giveaway: $1,000 HomeAway Vacation Rental - December 2, 2014
- Family Traditions: Celebrating Winter and Snow - November 28, 2014