Trouble Sleeping? Put Your Legs Up The Wall.
health & fitness • health-wellness
Do you have trouble sleeping? Does your mind run on a hamster wheel when you’re trying to sleep? If so, there’s a yoga pose you might want to try.
“The legs-up-the-wall asana improves circulation and relaxes the body after a long day,” says Kimba Green, a Soldierfit yoga instructor.
And when you can relax the body, you can relax the mind and catch some Zs.
The Legs-Up-The-Wall pose is pretty much what it sounds like—you prop your legs up on a wall and meditate for 5-15 minutes.
This pose always relaxes me. So, when I’m having trouble sleeping, I’ll try it. Other options like sleep training can also be tried if effective.
Here’s how you do it:
- Sit on the floor parallel to an empty wall (probably best to try this in your bedroom if you’re having trouble sleeping).
- Press your hip against the wall.
- Recline towards the floor; swing your legs up.
- Rest your back on the floor and press the back side of your legs against the wall.
- Place your arms by your side or fold them across your stomach.
- Hold this position for a minimum of five minutes.
The longer you hold the pose, the more relaxed you will become. If you think it’s been five minutes, keep going. It’s probably only been a minute or two.
The hard part, now, is quieting your mind. Try focusing on your breathing. In. Out. In. Out.
Sometimes I count. I breathe in for a count of four, then out for a count of four. Undoubtedly, my mind will wander. I just bring my focus back to my breathing.
To come out of the position, bend your knees towards your chest and roll to one side.
Sit up slowly.
Then tuck yourself into bed.
What helps you sleep?
Shannon Morgan is a food and travel writer focused on food allergies and fitness.
She is the Senior Editor at Maryland Life magazine, a mom of two, and a runner with a passion for yoga and coffee.
You can find her online at Shannon Morgan Creative, follow her on Twitter @SLDMorgan, or connect on Facebook.
Yoga photo by lululemon athletica via Flickr Creative Commons.
Headshot by Andrew Murdock.
Latest posts by Shannon Morgan (see all)
- Cookie Recipe: How to Make Cookie “Cake” Pops - April 17, 2019
- Recipe: Allergy-Friendly Blueberry Muffins - July 18, 2018
- New Mexico Travel Tips: White Sands National Monument Park - December 30, 2012