Spring Dessert Recipe: Simply Delicious Carrot Bars
March is just around the corner and you know what that means—spring will be here before we know it. When I think of spring, for some reason I think of carrots. This Indian-inspired dessert recipe is simple and delicious. Perfect for wowing the guests at your next celebration, this spicy-sweet confection is as lovely as it is flavorful. Look for green cardamom pods at your local Indian grocer.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 4 pounds carrots, peeled and grated
- 8 cups skim milk
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 6 tablespoons date puree
- Toast almonds over dry heat until fragrant.
- Combine grated carrots, milk, and cardamom pods in a large, heavy bottomed pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring, until all milk has evaporated, about 40 minutes.
- When liquid has evaporated, add oil and apple sauce. Fry, stirring constantly, until dark orange, about 30 minutes. Add sugar and almonds. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature.
Number of Servings: 6 (696 G )
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour and 20 Minutes
Recipe courtesy of Guiding Stars About Guiding Stars: Since 2006, Guiding Stars has been leading the way in helping consumers make nutritious food choices and recently received a U.S. Patent for the Guiding Stars nutrition-rating algorithm. The Guiding Stars nutrition guidance program is a simple, easy-to-understand tool for making good nutrition choices and is designed to make a positive and lasting impact on public health. Guiding Stars is currently found in more than 1,700 supermarkets including Food Lion, Hannaford, Sweetbay, Homeland, Kings Super Market and Marsh Supermarkets. Guiding Stars has also expanded into public schools, colleges and hospitals and appears on the Shopper mobile iPhone application. Additional information can be found at www.guidingstars.com
What are some of your favorite ways to cook with carrots?