Vein Health: Taking Care of the Veins in Your Legs
Summer is at its end, and the cold weather is quickly approaching. It’s important to consider the role that circulation plays in staying healthy when temperatures drop. Pregnancy and then being on your feet all day with your baby can contribute to painful varicose veins forming, due to a lack of circulation in the legs. The cold weather causes even more circulation issues because the body reduces blood flow to the extremities as a way to keep the blood in the main arteries of the body. This may cause cold hands and feet, making the fall season even more difficult for you and your newborn.
Tips to Improve Your Vein Health and Circulatory System
Some tips for optimizing the circulatory system include:
- Get Regular Exercise—Any type of exercise that strengthens the "second heart"—the muscles of the calf and foot—is beneficial. Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, 3 times a week.
- Wear Graduated Compression Stockings—Compression stockings act like an added layer of muscle, aiding the performance of the "second heart" and venous circulation.
- Monitor Hormone Intake—Birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy constrict blood vessels and can weaken vein valves and vein walls.
- Avoid Prolonged Periods of Sitting and Standing—Rotate your ankles and feet whenever possible, walk for at least 10 minutes every hour, and point and flex your toes to promote leg vein circulation.
- Elevate Your Feet—Raise your feet 6 to 12 inches above your heart whenever possible to assist circulation.
- Eat a High Fiber and Low Salt Diet—Salt retains water and constipation puts pressure on the venous system.
As the cooler temperatures creep in on us, consider trying some of these tips to make sure your circulatory system is working properly and you have optimum vein health at any stage in life.
Dr. Luis Navarro is the Director of The Vein Treatment Center which offers easy and effective ways to optimize blood circulation with tips that cater to new moms.
What are you doing to take care of the veins in your legs?
Image courtesy of Flickr
Latest posts by Jill Greenlaw (see all)
- How to Set Boundaries That Balance Your Life - January 12, 2015
- Setting Goals: Creating a Life List or a Bucket List - January 3, 2015
- Free Printable: Winter Family Activity Calendar - December 28, 2014