Playing Safe This Summer
#gno information! • #gno featured • family fun • activities
Summer is here and that means time to move the kids outside. Outdoor play is all about being active and having fun! However, fun needs to be balanced with safety. Here are some of the top tips for families while experiencing the great outdoors and playing safe.
Playing Safe This Summer
Here are several ways you and your family can make sure you are playing safe this summer:
- Make adult supervision a crucial element of outdoor play.
- Children should never be left alone near water sources (pools, inflatable “kiddie” pools, beaches, etc.). Water toys should be kept out of sight or out of reach when not being used so children aren’t tempted to play in or near the water alone.
- Always keep toys away from unsupervised areas (pools, driveways or streets with traffic) so they don’t lure a child into a dangerous situation.
- Inspect toys regularly and repair (or replace) damaged or broken parts as soon as they’re spotted.
- Be sure to use protective gear (helmets, knee pads and other protective wear) when playing with ALL ride-on toys, including bicycles, tricycles, scooters, skateboards and skates.
- Keep young bodies protected from the sun and heat. Outdoor play areas should be covered to protect sensitive children’s skin from the sun’s intense rays. Children should wear hats, 100% UVA sunglasses, and a broad spectrum SPF 30 or higher sunscreen (UVA and UVB protection) that is water resistant. Sunscreen should be re-applied every two hours, even on cloudy days, and after swimming or sweating. Children should drink plenty of fluids during and after play.
- Organize and store toys to prevent slips, trips and falls. There should be a designated “parking” spaces near the door for bicycles and other ride-on toys; smaller items like skateboards and skates should be hung up or stored on shelves to prevent slips, trips and falls.
What are some of your favorite summer toys?
For more information and tips, please visit ToyInfo.org
Jackie Retzer is a Toy Trend Specialist for the Toy Industry Association, based in New York, NY. The Toy Industry Association works with over 600 toy companies to keep up on the latest trends and safety requirements in toys. For more information on great toys for your child visit ToyInfo.org. - See more at: http://momitforward.wpengine.com/summer-fun-get-out-and-play#sthash.fedfR1no.dpuf
Latest posts by Mom It Forward (see all)
- St. Patrick’s Day Party - March 14, 2023
- Spring Dessert Recipe: Simply Delicious Carrot Bars - March 3, 2023
- Savory and Sweet Dishes: 8 Easy Bacon-Filled Recipes - January 16, 2023