Recipe: Perfect Pumpkin Pound Cakes
So, here we are smack in the middle of fall, and nothing says fall to me like pumpkin! Living in south Texas, we don't get a lot of cool crisp days, but making these pumpkin pound cakes at least lets me believe it's fall somewhere (even if I have to make them with the AC cranked!).
I've adapted this recipe from my grandmother's pound cake recipe. My grandmother's recipe is top secret (as top secret as a recipe can be when it's on the back of the box of mix!), but I'm going to share the pumpkin version with you. I baked these cakes in mini bundt pans so everyone gets their own pumpkin. If you don't have the mini pans, a regular bundt pan still looks like a pumpkin, just increase the baking time to 1 hour.
The chocolate chips are optional in this recipe, but my seven-year-old changed his opinion from "good" to "really great" when he bit into the chocolate! Also, the pumpkin spice pudding mix is seasonal, so if you can't find any, use butterscotch or vanilla. This is a simple dessert to make, but it looks impressive, and it tastes even better!
Pumpkin Pound Cake Recipe
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 c. pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 1 packet pumpkin spice pudding mix
- 1 c. chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 c. powdered sugar (for the glaze)
- Combine all ingredients, except for the powdered sugar, and mix with a mixer on medium speed for five minutes. You'll think it's done after one minute, but the extra time really makes a difference with the texture of the cake.
- Pour the batter into greased mini bundt pans.
- Bake at 350º for 30 min. (If you're using a regualr sized bundt pan, increase cooking time to 60 min.)
- When the cakes are cool, trim off the bottoms to make them flat. You can put two cakes together to make a full pumpkin, or serve just one. Two cakes together is a lot of cake for one person.
- To make the glaze, combine powdered sugar with water to get a pourable consistency. I added a couple of drops of red and yellow food coloring to mine.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cakes.
What are your favorite pumpkin recipes to make during fall?
Sarah Roberts is a mom to five kids under the age of nine and wife to a husband over the age of nine! Sarah loves blogging with her sister over at franklyentertaining and discussing what's for dinner and dessert. One day, Sarah will have all the laundry and dishes done, and have all the kids bathed ... at the same time!
Latest posts by Sarah Roberts (see all)
- Recipe: Perfect Pumpkin Pound Cakes - October 16, 2018