Garden: How to Start Your Family Garden
How to Start Your Family Garden
- We love cooking up a meal with fresh fruits and veggies that we grew ourselves. Plant foods that your family will enjoy eating.
- Let your kids pick out some seeds, even if they’re bizarre. Your kids will love watching their chosen seeds grow. Plus, it doesn’t hurt to try something new. Who knows, you may end up loving your new found vegetable.
- Never think you planted too much. There is always the chance that parts of your garden won’t grow as well as you had hoped. If you end up with more than you can handle, try canning or freezing your harvest to make it last all year or share with the neighbors!
Here are some kid friendly crops:
- Confectionery Sunflowers are fast growing and you can roast the seeds for a great snack!
- Snow peas, cherry tomatoes, and strawberries can be pulled straight from the vine and popped into open mouths.
- Pumpkins can be watched to see how big they grow. You also get to carve your own pumpkin into a jack-o-lantern!
- Carrots raise anticipation because you don’t know what they’ll look like until they are pulled from the ground.
Make sure everyone gets involved. Include your kids in the process, even the beginning steps. It’s a great bonding time and it teaches them hard work as well as patience.
Latest posts by Cambria VandeMerwe (see all)
- Fall Home Décor: Three Quick and Easy Crafts with Sticks - September 17, 2018
- Craft: The Power of Words - September 13, 2018
- Home Management: How to Create a Peaceful Home - September 11, 2018